Graduate Student Funding


Dissertation funding


Who Can Apply: Female engineering students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

National Physical Science Consortium (NPSC

Who Can Apply: U.S. citizen pursuing graduate work at an NPSC member institution in Astronomy, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Materials Science, Mathematical Sciences, Physics, and their subdisciplines, and related engineering.



GrantsNet is a one-stop resource to find funds in the sciences. Through the support of HHMI and AAAS, this service is completely free.

Lung Health Dissertation Grant

Who Can Apply: United States citizens or Foreign nationals holding one of the following visa immigration statuses: o permanent resident, exchange visitor (J-1), temporary worker in a specialty occupation (H-1, H-1B), Canadian or Mexican citizen engaging in professional activities (TC or TN), temporary worker with extraordinary abilities in the sciences (O-1), Non-citizens must submit proof of possession of a J-1, H-1, H-1B, TC, TN or -1 visa or have permanent resident status.


Ford Foundation

Dissertation fellowships offer support in the final year of writing the Ph.D. or Sc.D. thesis.

Who Can Apply: citizens or nationals of the United States regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation (must have become a U.S. citizen by November 29, 2007), in research-based fields of study.

Guggenheim Foundation

Dissertation fellowships for violence and aggression research.

Who Can Apply: fellowships are awarded through two annual competitions: one open to citizens and permanent residents of the United States and Canada , and the other open to citizens and permanent residents of Latin America and the Caribbean.


Housing and Urban Development


Dissertation grants for community development research.

Who Can Apply: U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (recipient of an Alien Registration Recipient Card-Form I-551, commonly referred to as a Green Card) currently enrolled an accredited doctoral program.


National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Who Can Apply: U.S. citizen, non-citizen national (e.g., residents of U.S. territories), or permanent resident by the time of award.


National Science Foundation (NSF)

Who Can Apply: must be enrolled at a U.S. institution, but need not be a U.S. citizen.


Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

Dissertation awards for physical activity and obesity research.

Who Can Apply: check Call for Proposal eligibility criteria.

PEO Scholars Award

Applicants from law, education, the sciences and arts are especially encouraged to apply.

Who Can Apply: Women; must be US or Canadian Citizen; Program Coordinators nominate eligible students (contact Dr. Susan Sell in the Graduate School for more information).


Spencer Foundation

Dissertation fellowships for research on the improvement of education.

Who Can Apply: applicants need not be citizens of the United States; however, they must be candidates for the doctoral degree at a graduate school within the United States in areas such as anthropology, architecture, art history, economics, education, history, linguistics, literature, philosophy, political science, psychology, public health, religion, or sociology, but eligibility is not restricted to these academic areas. Candidates should be interested in pursuing further research in education once the doctorate is attained.


United Negro College Fund/Merck Dissertation Research Fellowships

Biomedical science or physical science dissertation fellowships for African Americans.

Who Can Apply: African American (Black), enrolled in a full-time Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree program majoring in a life or physical science, engaged in and within 1-3 years of completing dissertation research, having successfully completed all qualifying exams, a citizen or permanent resident of the United States .


Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation

Who Can Apply: check eligibility criteria.