- E. Braun, President
- J. Carter, President Elect
- D. Binkley, Secretary
- B. Sherlock, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:30 PM
Cameron Applied Research Building, Room 101
Special Meeting: Approval of revised college reappointment, promotion, and tenure policy
The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Johnson, D. Blackmon, R. Smelser
- CAMERON A.R.C.:
- COMPUTING & ENGINEERING LABS:
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: D. Boyajian, J. Bowen, J. Daniels, J. Graham, H. Hilger, H. Inyang, M. Kane, V. Ogunro, D. Weggel, D. Young
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: D. Binkley, S. Bobbio, L. Casperson, J. Conrad, K. Daneshvar, M. Hasan, Y. Kakad, F. Tranjan, J. Xie
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: F. Ahmad, A. Barry, E. Braun, A. Brizendine, N. Byars, J. Carter, B. Gehrig, J. Kimble, S. Kuyath, D. Liou, D. Murphy, C. Orozco, R. Priebe, D. Sharer, B. Sherlock, S. Wang, G. Watkins
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: R. Coger, Y. Hari, C. Lee, E. Morse, B. Mullany, E. Munday, E. Ozelkan, J. Raja, J. Raquet, S. G. Teng, R. Wilhelm, B. Woody, T. Xu
Documented attendance: 52
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 49 (61.25% of voting faculty)
Total Voting Faculty: 80
Quorum of voting faculty: 40
1. Call to Order and Approval of Past Minutes (Ed Braun)
- CEFO president Ed Braun called the meeting to order at 12:40 PM following refreshments outside CARC room 101.
- Minutes of the March 24, 2005 Regular Meeting were approved at 12:41 PM. These and all CEFO meeting minutes are available on-line at http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO.
2. Request for Book Donations to Samaritan BookSource (Jack Carter)
- Jack Carter invited the faculty to donate used books to his non-profit, hobby-business, Samaritan BookSource. All proceeds go to a wide variety of charities or donor-selected charities.
- Donations from Gray’s Bookstore support all operating expenses so funds raised by book sales go directly to charity.
- Books are sold on-line, with over 10,000 sold at present. Gray’s bookstore donated 600 cases of books.
- Faculty may donate books to Jack at Smith 215 or contact him for pickup. Faculty are encouraged to consider donating books as they plan their moves into the new buildings.
3. Approval of Revised College Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Policy (Yogendra Kakad)
- College review committee (CRC) chair Yogi Kakad discussed the revised college reappointment, promotion, and tenure review policy necessitated for compliance with the revised university policy. Additionally, the policy was revised to address college-wide programs. The policy had been discussed by the college faculty at previous meetings and was presented for approval by the college faculty.
- College dean Bob Johnson mentioned the revised university policy was vastly supported by the university faculty.
- Unlike before, negative department or college level actions do not stop a case but are recorded, with all cases proceeding forward to the Provost for a decision. As before, the Provost renders the final approval, but now only the Provost can render a negative decision.
- College-wide programs, such as engineering management, have another review layer called the program review committee. This committee consists of at least three, elected tenured members, if available, serving in the program. If three members of the program are not available, tenured faculty members from the university are elected. Gary Teng, director of the engineering management program indicated his support for the revised college policy.
- Appeals of negative decisions by the Provost will go to the Chancellor.
- The CRC consisting of members, Yogi Kakad, Jim Bowen, Stuart Smith, Falih Ahmad, and R. Smelser, unanimously recommended approval of the revised college policy.
- At 1:07 PM, the college faculty unanimously approved the revised college policy with 49 votes from the voting faculty. This exceeded the necessary vote of 40 or one-half the voting faculty.
4. Election Announcement (David Binkley)
- CEFO secretary announced nominations were still open for elected college positions with ballots going out in about one week. Nomination forms were available in the front of the room and were distributed to voting faculty earlier.
5. Dean’s Report (Bob Johnson)
- Bob Johnson discussed BSS (business service specialist), TSS (technical service specialist) and SSS (student service specialist) staff roles in the college. Faculty will now initiate procurements by an internal form, followed by business service specialists entering orders on-line. Technical service specialists will receive items, inventory these, and notify business services specialists of receipt on-line. Business service specialists will then close out the order.
- Bob announced Ray Tsu and Jim Conrad have recently published books.
- Bob addressed faculty questions concerning room assignments and the new college buildings.
6. Adjournment (Ed Braun)
- Ed Braun adjourned the meeting at 1:42 PM.
Please submit additions or corrections to David Binkley, CEFO Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.