D. Binkley, President
Stuart Smith, President Elect
J. Bowen, Secretary
B. Sherlock, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Thursday, April 5, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cameron Applied Research Center , Room 101
The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Johnson, R. Smelser, T. Rufty
- OFFICE of STUDENT DEVELOPMENT & SUCCESS: P. Tolley, D. Blackmon, C. Blat, K. Franco, C. McDaniel, L. Thurman
- ENGINEERING COMPUTING SERVICES: J. Stein
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: J. Anderson, J. Bowen, J. Daniels, J. Grahan, H. Hilger, M. Kane, S. Pulugurtha, K. Warren
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: D. Binkley, L. Casperson, I. Howitt, J. Hudak, Y. Kakad, A. Mukherjee, L. Sheppard, A. Willis, J. Xie
- ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT: E. Ozelkan, Y. Sireli
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: A. Barry, E. Braun, N. Byars, D. Cottrell, B. Gehrig, D. Hoch, S. Kuyath, D. Liou, S. Mitchum, D. Murphy, T. Nicholas, C. Orozco, D. Sharer, B. Sherlock, S. Wang. G. Watkins
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: A. El-Ghannam, H. Fang. Y. Hari, R. Hocken, C.Y. Lee, E. Morse, J. Raquet,
Documented attendance: 52 total
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 38/85
Total Voting Faculty: 85
Quorum of voting faculty: 43
1. Call to order (CEFO president, David Binkley)
- David Binkley called the meeting to order at 12:35 PM.
2. Approval of minutes from January 11, 2007 meeting (David Binkley)
- Ed Morse made a motion to pass the minutes from the January 11, 2007 meeting. This motion was seconded and then passed on a voice vote.
3. Overview of committees up for election by the CEFO (CEFO secretary, Jim Bowen)
- Jim Bowen presented the CEFO election nomination form and encouraged all to consider running for one of the available positions. Positions up for election included several College and University level positions. College positions have one-year terms, University positions have two-year terms. JB then passed around nomination forms for faculty use.
4. Faculty summer salary from grants (Grants administrator, Toby Rufty)
- Toby Rufty gave a presentation on effort reporting as it relates to summer pay and release time. He also spoke briefly about the need to update conflict of interest notifications. TR stressed the importance of taking summer pay and release time as the work is done to minimize problems with the effort reporting system. His .ppt presentation is available on the web (download it).
5. Dean's report (Bob Johnson, dean)
- Dean Johnson provided these items of interest and information to the faculty:
- The Dean's office is currently conducting a financial risk assessment
- Long-distance phone bills will be passed out to all faculty. Each person should self-identify personal long-distance phone calls and then write a check to pay for these calls. The Dean has already done this and wrote a check for $3.60 to cover his calls.
- In the future, Dean will randomly sample phone bills to see if bills need to be sent out again.
- The Dean has received over a million dollars in one-time money. He mentioned a couple of items that will be purchased with this money (Civil gets a new truck, Smith gets $200K in new furniture).
- Six faculty positions and $600K for equipment has been promised to the College for the Motorsports program.
- Motorsports program will get a new building in the future.
- Student Achievement luncheon to be held on Monday April 23, from 12:30 until 2:00 PM.
- Dean is submitting a proposal to receive money from an ADVANCE grant.
- A proposal for a BS in Optical Science and Engineering (proposal to plan?) is under development outside the College. (This item stimulated several minutes of discussion. Several faculty expressed their frustration that an BS in Engineering proposal could be prepared without consulting the College of Engineering. Faculty expressed the desire that the College be included in future planning of this degree.)
6. Adjourn (David Binkley)
- A motion to adjourn was made and seconded, then passed on a voice vote. The meeting was then adjourned by David Binkley at 1:35 PM.
- Please submit additions or corrections to Jim Bowen, CEFO Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.