- J. Carter, President
- D. Binkley, President Elect
- J. Bowen, Secretary
- Stuart Smith, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Thursday, March 2, 2006, 12:30 PM
Engineering Research Building , Room 345
The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Johnson, C. Blat, M. Hermann, R. Smelser, J. Stein, L. Thurman, T. Rufty, T. Koch
- CAMERON A.R.C.:
- COMPUTING & ENGINEERING LABS: D. Rowe
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: J. Amburgey, J. Anderson, J. Bowen, J. Daniels, H. Hilger, R. Janardhanam, M. Kane, V. Ogunro, S. Pulugurtha, D. Weggel, K. Warren
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: D. Binkley, L. Casperson, J. Conrad, M. Hasan, A. Hege, B. Joshi, Y. Kakad, M. Miri, E. Stokes, T. Weldon
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: A. Barry, A. Brizendine, J. Carter, D. Cottrell, B. Gehrig, C. James, J. Kimble, R. Priebe, D. Sharer, S. Wang, G. Watkins
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: K. Bose, H. Cherukuri, H. Estrada, Y. Hari, C. Lee, J. Miller, E. Morse, E. Munday, E. Ozelkan, J. Raja, Y. Sireli, Stuart Smith, S.G. Teng
Documented attendance: 54
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 45 (53% of voting faculty)
Total Voting Faculty: 85
Quorum of voting faculty: 43
1. 12:30 – 12:40. Gathering, refreshments, etc.
2. 12:40 – 12:45. Call to order and approval of December 1, 2005 Meeting Minutes.
- Jack Carter called the meeting to order at 12:37 PM.
- Minutes of the previous meeting are posted to this URL: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO/minutes/2005_Dec_1.html . Jack Carter moved that the previous meeting minutes be approved. The motion was seconded and passed without discussion.
3. 12:45 – 01:00. Consent Calendar Item. Special Topics, ENGR 4090. Gary Teng.
This proposal is posted to: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO/documents/consent_item/EMGT%208-26-04R3.pdf. Gary Teng presented a description of the course. The course available to all departments. It was created as a vehicle for courses that span departments. There was some discussion about the details of how faculty members would offer and teach the course. Jack Carter moved the consent item be passed. The item was seconded and passed on a hand vote.
4. 01:00 – 01:30. University Research Infrastructure and Support, David Young.
David Young and several other Civil Engineering faculty members led a discussion of the current situation regarding the use of overhead funds by the University, Departments and individual researchers. The current situation is seen as difficult and unfair by many faculty, who would like to see Departments and individual faculty receive a higher percentage of overhead from research projects. Bob Johnson stated that arguments for new policies must be crafted that the Chancellor would see as a "win-win." The move to higher research classification might pose an opportunity. Faculty presented examples from other schools where a higher percentage of overhead is given to Departments and researchers. Many gripes about travel policies were also aired. Faculty wanted more motor pool cars, web-based travel authorization, credit or debit cards for direct research purchasing, and 1-week turnaround for reimbursements. Several faculty decried the onerous procedures for verification of travel expenses.
5. 01:30 – 01:40. Dean’s Report, Dean Johnson.
- Bob Johnson provided the following items for information.
- Students are now admitted directly to departments.
- The student fee increase will happen.
- There is money now for Smith renovation.
- He has prepared a white paper that proposes the entire college be housed in buildings near the ERB. He has given the white paper to the chancellor, and plans to distribute it to other deans.
- He thanked the faculty and staff for the good work in locating and adding to the inventory College-owned laptops.
- On July 1, technical staff will be allocated to departments.
- Dean underwent a five-year performance review. Provost will provide feedback to him regarding the review.
- Jerre Hill, who was involved in a serious car accident last Thanksgiving, is making steady progress towards full recovery. He plans to teach this Summer.
6. 01:50. Adjournment, Jack Carter
- Jack Carter adjourned the meeting at 1:53 PM.
Please submit additions or corrections to Jim Bowen, CEFO Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.