- E. Braun, President
- J. Carter, President Elect
- D. Binkley, Secretary
- B. Sherlock, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Thursday, March 24, 2005, 12:30 PM
Fretwell Building, Room 121
The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Johnson, C. Blat, K. Elmore, R. Smelser
- CAMERON A.R.C.:
- COMPUTING & ENGINEERING LABS:
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: J. Anderson, D. Boyajian, J. Bowen, J. Daniels, D. Weggel
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: L. Casperson, D. Binkley, J. Conrad, K. Daneshvar, I. Howitt, Y. Kakad, V. Lukic, A. Mukerjee, A. Ravindran, L. Sheppard, F. Tranjan, J. Xie
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: A. Brizendine, F. Ahmad, E. Braun, J. Carter, B. Gehrig, J. Kimble, S. Kuyath, D. Murphy, C. Orozco, R. Priebe, D. Sharer, B. Sherlock, G. Watkins, J. Woodall
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: J. Raja, Y. Hari, J. Miller, E. Munday, S. G. Teng, R. Wilhelm, B. Woody
Documented attendance: 42
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 37 (46.25% of voting faculty)
Total Voting Faculty: 80
Quorum of voting faculty: 40
1. Call to Order and Approval of Past Minutes (David Binkley)
- CEFO secretary David Binkley called the meeting to order at 12:40 PM following refreshments outside Fretwell room 121.
- Minutes of the January 13, 2005 Regular Meeting were approved at 12:42 PM. These and all CEFO meeting minutes are available on-line at http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO.
2. Request for Nominations (David Binkley)
- David Binkley requested nominations for college officers and committees, and for university-wide committees for the spring 2005 election. Voting faculty were encouraged to nominate themselves and others by recording nominations on nomination forms present at the meeting. Additionally, nomination forms will be placed in the mail boxes of all voting faculty.
3. Announcement of Phil Dubois as new Chancellor (Bob Johnson)
- Dean Bob Johnson announced that UNC president Molly Broad and the Board of Governors have selected and confirmed Phil Dubois as our next chancellor. Bob mentioned that Phil, formerly provost here at UNCC, is an excellent choice for chancellor and will be a strong advocate for the university. Phil joins us this summer.
4. College Strategic Plan (Bob Johnson)
- Bob Johnson presented an overview of the college strategic plan for 2005 - 2010. This included the Vision, Mission, and Goals I, II, III, IV, and V. The strategic plan is posted on the CEFO web site at http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO.
- The college faculty previously discussed the Vision and Mission statements at the January 13, 2005 regular meeting.
- Bob plans to use the strategic plan to advocate for the resources necessary to grow the college and implement the strategic plan.
- College enrollment is projected to grow from 2,000 now to 3,000 – 3,500 in 2010. Enrollment above 2,000 is required to increase national exposure and track overall UNCC growth.
- Student/faculty ratio should drop to 20 or below to match peer research universities. This implies an increase in faculty from 88 now to around 160 in 2010.
- A significant increase in staff is projected, including research staff. T.A. positions should double by 2010.
- Roughly one new building should be added every five years.
- Lab and computer funding, which has been flat for several years, should increase to $350,000/year. Student fees, which are very low at $150, might increase to support lab and computer operations.
- The college will prepare and enhance “environmental scans” reporting enrollment, grant awards, research expenditures, faculty publications and presentations, and other measures of college performance.
- In a long-term vision, Bob would like the entire college to ultimately assemble at the Charlotte Research Institute campus.
5. Adjournment (David Binkley)
- David Binkley adjourned the meeting at 1:25 PM. Refreshments continued outside the meeting.
Please submit additions or corrections to David Binkley, CEFO Secretary at email@example.com.