- E. Braun, President
- J. Carter, President Elect
- D. Binkley, Secretary
- B. Sherlock, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Tuesday, November 9, 2004, 12:30 PM
Atkins Library, Room 124
The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Smelser
- CAMERON A.R.C.:
- COMPUTING & ENGINEERING LABS:
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: D. Young, J. Anderson, J. Graham, M. Kane, V. Ogunro, D. Weggel
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: L. Casperson, D. Binkley, M. Hasan, M. Miri, F. Tranjan, J. Xie
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: A. Brizendine, F. Ahmad, E. Braun, N. Byars, J. Carter, S. Kuyath, D. Murphy, R. Priebe, D. Sharer, B. Sherlock, S. Wang, G. Watkins
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: J. Raja, Y. Hari, G. Micklow, E. Morse, B. Mullany, E. Munday, E. Ozelkan, Y. Sireli, S. G. Teng, R. Wilhelm
- GUESTS: Lyn Lee W. Tnoy
Documented attendance: 36
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 35 (not a quorum)
Total Voting Faculty: 80
Quorum of voting faculty: 40
1. Call to Order and Approval of Past Minutes (Ed Braun)
- CEFO president Ed Braun called the meeting to order at 12:35 PM following refreshments.
- Minutes of the September 2, 2004 general meeting were approved. These and all CEFO meeting minutes are available at http://www.coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/CEFO.
2. Discussion of Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure Policies (Ed Braun)
- Policy changes are required to bring college RPT policies into UNC System compliance. Specifically, negative department or college recommendations proceed forward to the office of the Provost. As before, the Provost makes the final decision. The UNC System intention is to provide maximum protection to the faculty.
- Additionally, policy changes are required to accommodate new college programs, such as the Engineering Management Program.
- After some discussion, Mehdi Miri recommended the college RPT policies be brought into UNC System compliance before presentation to the faculty. Farid Tranjan also recommended the appropriate college committee(s) review and further prepare the RPT policies for presentation to the faculty. Ed indicated the RPT policies will be reworked and brought back to the college faculty for a later vote.
3. College of Engineering Organizational Review (Ron Smelser)
- The organizational review was motivated by the college’s upcoming distributed operation in four separate buildings, program growth, and the desire to utilize new technology for operations.
- The project team conducted various faculty surveys and interviewed selected faculty and students.
- Organization priorities include: standardization, holding people accountable for quality, optimizing use of resources, and improving communications.
- A matrix organizational structure is planned with laboratory and technical staff generally reporting to the college while being located within the individual departments.
- Student services specialists, located within each department, will support student needs.
- Business services specialists, located within each department, will support the chair and faculty in management of affairs like travel, grants, etc.
- The college anticipates three additional staff people and one new facilities person. Job descriptions will be crafted for the new positions.
- Farid suggested there was a good opportunity for faculty to provide input for the reviews of staff members.
4. Dean’s Report (Ron Smelser, Associate Dean)
- Ron mentioned there were huge issues on campus concerning academic integrity.
- Academic integrity processes are on the books that faculty should follow.
- Ron will visit each department to summarize academic integrity processes.
- (At the time of the January 2005 meeting, Ron had met with the departments and presented university academic integrity policies. These require reporting all incidents so multiple infractions can be identified and dealt with).
5. Adjourn (Ed Braun)
- Ed adjourned the meeting at 1:15 PM, and everyone was invited to continue enjoying refreshments.
Please submit additions or corrections to David Binkley, CEFO Secretary at email@example.com.