- B. Hocken, President
- E. Braun, President Elect
- D. Binkley, Secretary
- S. Kuyath, Parliamentarian
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING FACULTY ORGANIZATION (CEFO)
Thursday, September 18, 2003, 12:30 PM
Cameron Applied Research Center, Room 101
Lower Division ET Curriculum Meeting
CEFO President Dr. Bob Hocken opened the meeting at 12:36 PM. Jack Carter served as secretary in the absence of David Binkley. The following individuals signed the attendance sheet:
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: R. Johnson, C. Blat, K. Elmore, E. Haro, S. Meyers, R. Smelser, P. Tolley.
- CAMERON A.R.C.:
- COMPUTING & ENGINEERING LABS: D. Rowe.
- CIVIL ENGINEERING: D. Young, J. Anderson, D. Bayer, J. Bowen, J. Gergely, J. Graham, R. Janardhanam, M. Kane.
- ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING: F. Tranjan, K. Daneshvar, I. Howitt, M. Miri, E. Stokes.
- ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY: A. Brizendine, F. Ahmad, A. Barry, E. Braun, N. Byars, J. Carter, B. Gehrig, J. Kimble, S. Kuyath, D. Liou, C. Mobley, D. Murphy, C. Orozco, R. Priebe, D. Ramers, D. Sharer, S. Wang, G. Watkins, J. Woodall.
- MECHANICAL ENGR & ENGR SCIENCE: J. Raja, H. Cherukuri, H. Estrada, Y. Hari, R. Hocken, R. Keanini, E. Morse, E. Munday, M. Rodgers, Scott Smith, Stuart Smith, S. Teng.
Documented attendance: 52.
Documented attendance of voting faculty: 45.
Note that in addition to distribution, archives of CEFO minutes will be maintained at a permanent college web site to be announced shortly.
1. Dean Robert Johnson
- Dean Johnson reminded the faculty of the ABET visit and thanked all for their help in preparation of that event. ABET visitors will be meeting with faculty, so be familiar with the self-study and Criteria-2. Be aware of PROBE, the body that looks at program objectives every 2 years. Be aware of Criteria 3: Program Outcomes, the A-K criteria. Be familiar with the buzzwords and jargon used in the assessment process.
- Today’s meeting will consider the content of the lower-division curriculum contained in the proposal that has been pulled from the consent calendar. The vote will not be whether or not to admit freshman into the ET program, as that decision will be made by the Dean and Provost.
2. Tony Brizendine
- Tony presented a motion to approve the lower-division curriculum proposal as passed by the CEAPCC and placed on the consent calendar. The motion was seconded by Steve Kuyath. Dr. Janardanham pointed out that since the proposal was already approved by the CEAPCC, that the motion is literally placed before the faculty by that committee and no motion or second is needed to allow discussion. This point of order was acknowledged by Tony and Steve. The motion remained on the floor.
- Tony displayed a slide presentation that contained some background information pertaining to the applicability of the lower-division programs in the college of engineering, giving the context of the proposal and provided some contrasting information from other campuses.
- Considerable discussion on the issue ensued.
- David Young presented a friendly amendment to the motion, stating “Amend the proposal to revise the entry for ENGR1201, changing the course identification to ETGR1201 in order to allow further discussion and design on the content of this course. The motion to amend the proposal passed by a vote of 23 for, 18 against, 3 abstentions.
- The vote on the amended proposal was held. The motion passed by a vote of 37 for, 7 against, 0 abstentions.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:52 PM.
Please submit additions or corrections to Dr. David Binkley, CEFO Secretary: email@example.com