Travel Information for Faculty and Staff Members

Related Links

Information and Guidance for Faculty and Staff Members Who Will Be Traveling

If you are a faculty or staff member and are planning on traveling, please go through the following steps. Remember that regardless of which department is playing for the travel, you must get a Travel Authorization form approved first.

  1. Either reach out to a Business Services Coordinator in your department to alert them of your plans to travel and ask for assistance with bookings, reservations, and travel authorizations. If you do not work for a department (ex: you work for the Dean’s Office) or if your BSC is sick/on vacation/vacant, you should reach out to or to Brenda Nipper ( in the Dean’s Office.
    1. You must give a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice of your departure date for state-funded travel.
    2. You must give a minimum of 3 weeks’ notice of your departure date for grant-funded travel.
  2. If you have chosen to reach out to Alexandra Corbett in the Dean’s Office, please download and fill out this spreadsheet and email it to her. The spreadsheet should contain one expense per line.
    1. In other words, this means that each individual anticipated cost for travel should have its own line. Airfare should be on one line, registration costs should be on another line, overnight accommodations should be on another line, etc.
  3. A Travel Authorization form must be submitted before any bookings and reservations can be made. You will have to sign the Travel Authorization form before it is submitted. Your department chair or center director must approve of your travel as well.
  4. Once the Travel Authorization form is approved, bookings and reservations can be made. For faculty and staff members, you should email links to hotel websites and conference websites and provide dates and preferred flight numbers and carriers to your Business Services Coordinator or to Alexandra Corbett. They will use a university purchasing card to make the reservations and bookings for you.
  5. When you travel, please save the receipts for any expenses for which you would like to be reimbursed. This includes Taxis, Ubers, other ground transportation, meals, highway tolls, parking fees, baggage fees, and gasoline.
    1. Receipts should include the date and time of the transaction, the last four digits of the debit or credit card that was used in the transaction, and the items that were purchased. All receipts should be itemized if possible.
  6. Upon returning from your trip, if there are any expenses for which you would like to be reimbursed after paying for them out of pocket, please share the receipts for those expenses with your BSC or with Alexandra Corbett. A TRER (Travel Reimbursement and Expense Report) must be submitted to the travel office in order for you to be reimbursed.